Roasting green coffee is a magical process that transforms the plain seeds to a desired flavors and aromas of the final cup of brewed coffee. Professional roast-master will consider the variety, size, water content, grade of green coffee bean as well as the roaster they use, so that they can apply the proper temperature and right amount of time to bring out the best flavors of the particular coffee beans. Time and temperature are of great importance during roasting green coffee bean. The following steps of roasting coffee are essential for roast-master as well as normal people when using a roaster.
1. After putting green coffee bean in the roaster, you can start the roaster with a comparatively high temperature.
2. When the coffee bean turns to yellow or gold, you should pay close attention to the sound.
3. After you hear the “first crack” sound, the coffee bean turns to beautiful brown color. Light roast coffee is ready. If you like light coffee with a little bit sour flavor, and want to boil coffee instead of pouring the hot water to the coffee powder to brew it.
4. If you prefer a stronger coffee flavor, then you have to wait for more time.
“second crack” sound is the note that more body will develop and the nuanced flavour character from the coffee region is influenced .Medium-dark coffee is ready. But if you like Espresso, then you need to wait until the coffee turns to dark or light black and coffee oil appear.
5. Once you find the coffee bean become the desired color and degree of roast, you can pour beans into metal colander and blow on them to remove the remaining chaff.
6. After venting the roasted coffee bean four hours or overnight, you can store the coffee bean in airtight container.
It is advisable for you to ground the coffee bean before you drink it, because the flavor and aroma of ground coffee will disappear rapidly.